Paul Cowie & Associates, Inc. (PC+A) is a professional consulting firm providing
expert advice in the preservation, enhancement and long-term management of shade
trees and urban forest resources.
PC+A was initially founded in 1988 as a part-time service providing technical assistance
to a variety of green industry professionals, building contractors and property managers.
It grew rapidly into a full-time practice and its clientele expanded to include
architects, engineers, land developers, and municipal governments.
PC+A is nimbly structured to function as the primary consultant on tree management
projects and as a design team specialist on larger, multi-disciplinary projects.
All projects are completed in full, or directly managed by Paul Cowie, the firm’s
PC+A maintains a close association with expert professionals in several related disciplines
– horticulturists, landscape architects, pathologists, entomologists, soil scientists,
and others – so that the best technical strengths are readily available for any project.
Together, we will find a cost-effective solution for the most challenging problems.
PC+A has developed a unique niche and reputation for providing a high level of technical
expertise and problem-solving ability, and for effectively bridging the gap between
current scientific research and real-world application.
Recent projects of note include:
- National 9/11 Memorial, New York, NY: Contributed to technical aspects of the landscape
design and oversaw the procurement and pre-planting preparation of 500 large caliper
trees for the Memorial plaza.
- Ellis Island: Developed protocols and currently providing on-site enforcement for
the preservation of historic trees during seawall reconstruction.
- Branch Brook Park, Newark, NJ & Other Historic Olmsted Parks: Completed extensive
tree inventories, contributed to cultural resource and master plan studies, and oversaw
preservation of existing trees during construction of park restoration projects.
- United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY: Completed a tree inventory and developed
maintenance guidelines as part of a long-term landscape master plan.
- Newark Liberty International Airport, Newark, NJ: Oversaw multiple planting projects
to ensure contractor adherence to project specifications on behalf of PANYNJ.
- Frederick Douglass Circle, Pershing Square, Astor Place & Cooper Square, and Forsyth
Plaza, New York, NY: Contributed to technical aspects of the design for the rehabilitation
of these plazas and developed protocols for mitigating potential construction impacts
to existing trees for NYCDDC and NYCDOT.
In addition, PC+A has prepared over 95 Community Forestry Management Plans focusing
on urban street trees for New Jersey municipalities and counties in accordance with
the New Jersey Shade Tree & Community Forestry Assistance Act (P.L. 1996, Chapter